Oral Cancer Screening
The Two-Minute Exam That Could Literally Save Your Life
Early detection of abnormalities that develop in the tissues of your lips, mouth and throat is essential in preventing possibly severe health issues from developing, such as oral cancer and other oral diseases. To further our goal of protecting your health, your Suwanee dentist is now utilizing the innovative VELscope system to best assess your overall oral health. This system is quick, non-invasive and extremely helpful in detecting oral abnormalities.
As your dentist, I continually look for medical advances and treatments to ensure that my team and I are delivering the best possible care. Of particular concern to us is oral cancer.
Did you know that oral cancer is the sixth deadliest cancer in the world with roughly 30,000 new cases of oral cancer diagnosed each year? As a result, oral cancer claims one life an hour here in the United States - more than the number of lives lost to skin or cervical cancer. Close to three-quarters of these new cases are detected in the later stages of development giving these individuals a five-year survival rate but only 50% generally survive. Unfortunately, the survival rate has decreased significantly in the past 40 years. However, when detected and treated early, oral cancer can be 90% curable.
Oral cancer is a growing problem among people age 40 and older, especially among smokers, smokeless tobacco users and drinkers. However, according to the American Dental Association, more than 25% of those who are diagnosed with oral cancer, including those under the age of 30, have no lifestyle risk factors and do not fall into these categories.
How does VELscope work?
- VELscope emits a blue light that causes molecules deep in your oral tissue to react with a light of their own in shades of yellow, green and red.
- Using a filter to block out the reflected blue light, the VELscope can then enhance the contrast between normal and abnormal tissue.
- This procedure is used during regular oral exams and only takes around one to two minutes.
- The process is completely non-invasive and doesn’t use any rinses or dyes.
The Importance of VELscope
- Around 36,000 Americans are diagnosed with oral cancer each year, and close to 8,000 of them don’t survive. The best way to treat and prevent the spread of oral cancer is early detection. This is why the VELscope system could be life saving. In less than two minutes, a complete oral scan can be completed, allowing dentists to discover any signs of trouble.
- VELscope is also useful in detecting other oral problems that can make chewing, talking, swallowing and sleeping problematic. These issues can be avoided when found and treated early.
For more information on the VELscope system or to make an appointment, call Suwanee Dental Care at 770-614-7300 today. We can help you protect one of your most precious assets – your health.